Friday, January 30, 2009

Reasons why my blog revival failed

OK, so I'm about to explain (with my tail between my legs), why my recent blog revival failed.

1. My phone blogging idea went kaput/caput/capoot (how the hell do you spell that??) because apparently my phone has a character limit of 160 when you send to non-verizon phones (meaning a website or e-mail address). So, my ideas of blogging while on the go did not GO very far at all. I actually wrote two nice blogs during my commutes to school and tried several ways to send it, but now they are forever trapped in the memory of my phone, never to be read.

2. The second reason is also the answer to anybody asking "how's life with another baby?" or "how's the baby?" or "getting any sleep?" Well, my experience has been that the second child is much much easier! I've already perfected my various infant holds, my walk-and-bounce is finely honed and able to quell most types of cries (except the one that results in a pass to mommy), and a lot of the general questions and worries that we had with Connor have given us the experience to tackle most issues that come up with Zoƫ. Now, that being said, there are still some things that come up and some situations that are new that require some improvising or pondering. But, in general, I'm personally much more experienced when it comes to dealing with a baby (of course, that's not too hard, because I was completely INexperienced the first time around!) Anyways, that's just one question. The more important question is "how is life with TWO kids?" Now, this is where the question gets interesting and may require a lot more time to write about than I currently have (I'm administering a quiz to my 9th grade chem class right now, so unbeknownst to them, I'm blogging while they all labor over a quiz...heh heh heh). Anyways, having a newborn AND a two and a half year old is exhausting! Perhaps I will detail further anecdotes about specifics in future blogs (yes, hopefully they continue to come...), but my days usually start with waking up, getting myself ready, waking Connor up and getting him fed, cleaned, dressed, teethbrushed, put in his coat and shoes, and out the door (all with the help of Shannon - until she goes back to work). I'll pause here to say that this almost NEVER happens without some kind of breakdown incident. Either we chose the wrong cereal, or he doesn't want to wash his hands after he pees, or he doesn't want to put on his pants (or his shirt or his shoes or his socks or his coat) or he desperately wants to wear a pair of jammy shorts to school in the middle of winter and not the nice warm pants that we picked out...the list goes on and on and usually days include a combination of these. So, that's just how the day begins! Then I go to work and do my thang and try to do as much work that I used to do at home (grading, planning, prepping, reading, etc.) while I'm at work. Because when I leave, we pick up Connor and head back home. Now, it's time to work on dinner and playing with the kids and entertaining Connor. If I even try to sit down at my computer, he pulls me up and says, "no daddy! come play with me!" Then, we have dinner and by the time we're done, there's a little more play time while the adults clean up and then it's time to put Connor to bed. This includes bath time (sometimes for both kids), getting into jammys, brushing of teeth, bedtime stories, and then the actual going to sleep (the whole process of which can take up to an hour, maybe more depending on how wired Connor is). Now that Connor is finally asleep I can finish cleaning up the apt (which is never ever really "done"), do any work that "must" be done for the next day of school and by this time, it's really late and I need to collapse into bed. So, all of this is a very long-winded way of explaining why blogging can't be done during the weekdays.

3. To follow the previous point up, we've been away almost every single weekend since mid-December (either to NJ, CT, or MA) to visit various families and functions.

So, my quiz is almost over. I've already had to quickly minimize my screen when students come by to ask me questions or hand in their quiz. But, I hope that this explains a little bit about why blogging has become increasingly more difficult (I was never really good at it to begin with).

But, check in every so often because maybe things will change or I'll figure something out. But, in the meantime, keep going to http://ctam.shutterfly.com to see updated pictures (including ones from x-mas and our family trip to Florida).

Also, if you want a consistent blog to go to, Jon is amazingly persistent in his blogging! (of course HE only has ONE kid! J/K)

TTFN!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

j-
i think you're having quite a run posting about life with these beautiful little ones....do it when you can...and as someone who always worries about letting things go, i say...no worries. :D doesn't have to be all the time (or even once a year!)....love the shots!!!

JonnyTam13 said...

Cheap shot! But it's okay, because I do love traffic to my blog, even if it is a daily blog on having ONLY one kid (www.jontam.com)

Anonymous said...

Wow. So.......have you had a chance to play Call of Duty yet?!!!?

Jeph said...

Thanks for encouragement p-toes! and to you, Anon, the only Call of Duty I've had so far is Zoe's. Hey-oh! But, I did get Guitar Hero World Tour, so you and the kids have to come over soon to jam (that game I can play with Connor awake - although he always wants to play the drums...)!

Anonymous said...

What are you implying?? I'm Anonymous! Anonymous!! You don't KNOW me, man!

Jeph said...

You're right, I don't know you because you are anonymous. It's just that you SEEM like a really nice guy and you SEEM like you probably have kids that would like to play Guitar Hero. SOOO, I invite you over to jam.....whoever you are.