I don't understand something...why is it that teams still seem to pitch to David Ortiz in the bottom of the 9th inning when the game is close? Last night, the Cleveland Indians were ahead of the Red Sox 8-6 in the bottom of the 9th inning and trying to close out the game for a win. As usual, the Red Sox somehow found a way to get two men on with one out and guess who steps up to the plate? Yup, Papi Grande.Now, I probably don't have to tell you what happens next, but just in case you don't know how it ends (how it always ends), Ortiz hits a homerun to magically win the game for the Red Sox by exactly the right number of runs. Not just enough to tie the game or to cut down the lead. No, enough to just win the game in the bottom of the 9th inning.
This was his FIFTH walk-off hit this season and 15TH (including post-season) walk-off hit since he joined the Red Sox in 2003.
So, here's the thing...why do pitchers still pitch to him? I understand if the bases are empty and you're up by two runs or more, but with two runners up and him representing the winning run?? With the scenario above against the Cleveland Indians, I wouldn't think twice about walking Ortiz and loading up the bases! Either Ortiz hits a home run and the game is over, or Manny hits a homerun (or a double) and they win the game. OK, I understand that the threat of the Red Sox order is that you walk Ortiz and you end up with Manny (who is just as bad when it comes to clutch hits), but here's my radical idea...walk Ortiz AND Manny. You're up by two, so you walk Ortiz to load the bases and then you walk Manny to cut your lead to one and then you try to get some outs. I'm not saying it's not risky and I'm not saying I would do it everytime, but it just seems time and time again, the Red Sox win off of these stupid walk-off hits.
The Red Sox have built a line-up that is extremely smart. Two guys to lead off your lineup who are very good at getting on base. Then Ortiz and Manny. Very smart. Very annoying. That's why I hate the Red Sox.
But, mark my words, the Yankees will win the division and the wildcard will not be coming out of the AL East.

No comments:
Post a Comment