Last week, somebody compared my waiting experience to this..."it must be like seeing a snowstorm outside your window and listening to the radio for school cancellations, but not hearing it." Despite the quotation marks, I paraphrased a little because I can't remember exactly what she said verbatim, but that was the gist. That person did add, "but much worse, I'm sure".....thanks.
However, that's not a bad analogy. It's an extremely exciting thing to wait for and we've prepared ourselves for it for many months now. As the due date crept closer, we knew it was imminent. Since Connor was on time and this was our second child, we were both convinced that it was going to come early. Then,....it didn't come early and the due date was upon us. So, we expected it to happen on the due date and...the due date came and went. Then, after that day, it was a matter of "it can happen any second now!" and here we are 8 days later, still waiting with baited breath (does that mean my breath smells like worms?) and we're still in that "it can happen any second" mentality and boy is this exhausting! Right now I'm grading and trying to concentrate on these lab reports, but it's hard not to think "it can be any second now!" There have been a few minor contractions, but nothing that sticks. But, once there's a heavier contraction and once they happen more frequently, then it's GO time and we start the next chapter of our lives! However, until then, we're just......waiting.
So, I'll add some other analogies to see if I can capture this feeling for those who have not experienced it first-hand:
1. it's like that last day of school before summer break, but at the end of the day they say you have one more day of school. This continues for a week.
2. it's like trying to go to bed on Christmas Eve, when all you want to do is fast forward the clock and run downstairs to rip open the presents. You somehow make it through the night and run downstairs, only to find out that Christmas was pushed back another day.
3. it's like the last 10 minutes of a car ride where you need to pee really badly and you finally get home to run to the bathroom, only to find that there's a long line of people waiting to use the bathroom.
4. it's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife....NO ALANIS! THAT'S NOT IRONIC! THAT JUST SUCKS!!!!
OK, so maybe these analogies got a little out of hand. I started feeling like I was playing "what's worser than worse?" Also, that last one is just some pent up frustration from the 90's. Sorry.
Anyways, you can tell that it's on my mind. To further prove it, here's our latest beer:

1 comment:
Alright, I wasn't going to impart my wisdon on my big brother, but here it is. The secret to getting baby out. I must warn you, that what I'm about to tell you works real quickly. In our case, it worked in 5 hours. Ready?
Montreal...Chicken...Seasoning.
You know, the ones from McCormicks? You may be more familiar with Montreal Steak Seasoning. It worked so well, we didn't even actually use it. All we did was pick it up at the grocery store, and 5 hours later, contractions.
This has been passed down to me, so now I've done my part. If you're at the store, pick it up. If you're really desperate, head to the store and pick it up! Good luck! Can't wait to meet Wai!
Post a Comment