Fish have a memory of three seconds.A jiffy is an actual unit of time equal to 1/100th of a second.
It took 302,400 seconds for me to write my second blog post.
Fish have a memory of three seconds.
So, do you remember the good ol' days when you would go out to the playground with a whole bunch of kids and play a version of baseball, except instead of hitting a small white ball with a bat, you kicked a big red ball and tried to peg your opponents out? Well, what's more pathetic than feeling nostalgic and warm inside at the mention of the phrase, "No Headhunting"? Perhaps being almost 30 years old and still arguing that point with an adult kickball league umpire?
That's right, this summer I was talked into joining an adult kickball league through an organization called WAKA (World Adult Kickball Association - www.kickball.com). Myself, ten other Trevor teachers, and a few of our friends and acquaintances have joined together to form a summer kickball team! The rules are your typical playground kickball rules (except that there are extended rules to incorporate a strike zone and various other "baseball" type scenarios). In fact, there is an official 10 page rule book with extensive rules and regulations. For example, I'm sure everyone can relate to Rule 16.01 which states, "Ghost men are not allowed". How many times have we all been burned by that rule!
So far, our team is not doing very well. We play every Monday night and our record is currently 1-4. Apparently, it is much harder to kick a kickball than I remembered! Also, with 11 players on a defensive field, it is very difficult to kick the ball where there isn't somebody there ready to catch it! In fact, the best strategic offensive maneuver is to bunt and run like hell!
Web-gem moment: Sliding head-first into second base, scraping up your entire right arm, and still being out by a mile.
All in all, it's a really fun experience and totally worth all the "how old are you?" comments that I get when people learn about my childish activity. Besides, I couldn't find an open softball league to join this summer and it's a much cheaper "early mid-life crisis" than the sportscar! Did I mention the flip-cup and beer pong games that take place afterwards at the sponsor bar? How old am I?

2 comments:
I don't know how old you are, but I do know you're going to be older in a few weeks. Is it weird that soon you, Shannon, and the baby will all have August b-days?
Oh, and "adult" kickball league sounds so...dirty.
Dirty? You don't know the half of it!
Seriously, the kickball field has a lot of dirt and it gets everywhere!
Post a Comment