
Today is February 14th. Valentine's Day. I am not a Valentine's Day person. Now, that's not to say that I'm an anti-Valentine's Day person, per se. I don't go around wearing black and killing everybody's buzz and bah-humbugging all the lovey dovey couples that are out celebrating. But, I don't think it's a real "holiday" and I don't go out of my way to "celebrate." The thing is, I love my wife. I've always loved her ever since the day I met her (ugh, major cheese, but I guess I'll leave that in). However, I don't need some day on the calendar that dictates that I show my love.
There was a time when we used to "celebrate" and go out to dinner, but it was impossible to get a reservation, I'd buy some overpriced flowers, we'd wait forever for a table and eat in a packed restaurant filled with other couples. Was it a nice meal and a nice time together? Yes. Did I enjoy the company of my significant other? Of course. But, did it have to happen on February 14th? Why can't we just do this every so often and "celebrate" what we have for ourselves?
Luckily, Shannon feels the same way about this "holiday" and we find times throughout the year to celebrate what we have and treat ourselves to a nice dinner and some random gifts to one another every so often. The only reason that I'm not ANTI-Valentine's Day is that I don't mind the idea of it. You should take time and make sure that your loved one is loved and appreciated. You should take time and treat yourselves and acknowledge that you're happy with your partner. For some people, this one day is how they do it and the other 364 days, their love is assumed or unspoken. But, I think that's a shame and a waste.
That being said, we don't have any plans for today. In fact, we have plans to go visit some friends of ours and our kids will play. We'll probably come back home, play with the kids, eat leftovers, and go through the good-night rituals. We're not going to "celebrate" in any special way, but we'll certainly say that we love each other and we'll tell our kids that we love them. The picture for this post includes the three people that I love the most in this world. Of course I love many other family and friends, but I can't actually express how much I love my kids and my wife. And I'm not going to...just because it's Valentine's day and I refuse to be forced to do anything just because I'm "supposed" to. :)
Happy Valentine's Day everybody. Now, go tell somebody that you love them. But, just remember to tell them tomorrow and the next day too...

2 comments:
Happy Valentines Day! Did you dress Connor up in all black, or was that his own choice? Maybe he'll feel the same way about Valentine's Day that you do when he grows up (and I wouldn't blame him either!)
That's actually an older picture taken a few weeks ago. Connor picked the outfit out himself. It's a black matching sweatsuit and has a skull and crossbones on the back that says "The Little Pirate". It's actually really cute and he was so happy and proud of it that he was showing it off. You can see pictures of the back on Shutterfly (Jan 29th, 09)
Post a Comment