
The number 34:
According to wikipedia, 34 is the ninth distinct biprime and has four divisors including unity and itself.
34 is the magic constant of a 4 by 4 normal magic square (all rows, columns, and diagonals add up to 34)
#34 is a song by the Dave Matthews Band on their debut album, Under the Table and Dreaming.
34 was the number retired by the Houston Astros and the Texas Rangers for Nolan Ryan.
Also, this post will be my 34th blog post ever! (Wow, bet nobody saw that coming!) It's taken me 2 and a half years to get to my 34th blog post. The reason why I bring this up is because Jon just reached his 100th blog post a few days ago (in 101 days, I might add)! I definitely applaud his dedication and stamina, but in no way promise that I will reach my 100th post anytime soon...if ever.
Anyways, I'll just slowly chug along and write my 34th post...by the way, I've noticed that a lot of my blog posts include a discussion of the process and idea of blogging...kinda circular, no? I'll have to work on that and if I can ever successfully be a consistent blogger, maybe then I can stop blogging about blogging...
Since my last post was more on the negative (yet, continually humorous) side of having a two-and-a-half year old, I thought I would discuss the wonderful side of having children (including that two-and-a-half year old douche bag).
So, a quick, incomplete, and ever-growing list of those amazingly heart-melting moments that you get to experience as a parent. I have to say, I LOVE being a Dad! I've always used to enjoy playing with kids and being the goofy uncle/friend who isn't afraid to crawl around on the floor or act like a kid, but it's completely different when you have your own children.
Before I held Connor, I had only held two other babies, and it was TERRIFYING! I held my breath, scrunched up my shoulders, awkwardly held the baby for a minute or two while I continued to breath ever so slightly and then finally passed it back. It was almost like somebody passed me a bomb and then took it back. But, with Connor and Zoë, it is the most comfortable and wonderful thing in the world. Sure, I was still afraid to move when I held Connor the first few times, for fear of doing anything to hurt such a fragile thing. But, the learning curve was steep and I was soon a pro. Now, I just love holding them and watching every move that they make. Ironically, it still took me a longer time after that to feel comfortable holding other people's babies, but now I think I've got it down pat. Anyways, every day is filled with small little things that makes being a parent such an amazing thrill.
A short list showcasing those moments that still make my heart melt (in an incredibly good way) and the things that keep me sane through the more challenging aspects of parenthood. Again, not necessarily in any particular order:
1. That first moment of holding your baby all wrapped up in a blanket, new to the world.
2. That first time that their tiny little hand grabs your finger (see pictures above: Top=Connor / Bottom=Zoë - both on their first days)
3. The first time that they look at you with some kind of recognition and give you a smile.
4. Hearing them laugh.
5. When you're holding them and they snuggle their head right into your neck and fall asleep.
6. Watching them sleep. They look so peaceful and angelic.
7. When they run to you and give you huge hug, so excited to see you.
8. When they say "I love you daddy" totally unprovoked (even when its provoked, that's cool too)
9. When they are able to tell you what they did in their day (Connor just recently started doing this. On the way home from school, he tells me what he and his friends did in school)
10. When they dance.
11. When they watch everything that you do and then start imitating it (Connor loves to "play" Guitar Hero and he even holds his own guitar and sometimes imitates the hip gyrations, dancing, and crazy things that Jon, Josh and myself do....it's hilarious watching him lie down on the floor next to Jon as they "both" wail away on a solo!)
12. Just in general, watching as they develop (motor skills, language, independence, coordination, conceptualization, etc.) It amazes me to no end how fast they develop and pick things up and I love literally watching them "learn" right before my own eyes. I get such a huge kick out of hearing the things that Connor has come up with on his own.
Obviously, 1-6 I've enjoyed with both Connor and Zoë and 7-12 were just Connor, but like I said before, this is a very incomplete list and I could probably go on for a long time. But, it is now crazy late and I have to go to work tomorrow morning, so I need to stop writing. But, it's been an amazing ride so far, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead! I'm sure I can create a whole list of things that I'm looking forward to (first Yankees game, playing a game of catch, first time ice-skating, etc.), but I'm just going to continue enjoying what I have now and I'll take it one step at a time.


No comments:
Post a Comment